Yankee Pot Roast

Strange things have been happening in the quiet residential district of Cambridge adjacent to the College.

Mrs. Fosby, who takes in boarders up on Fenwick Street, reported her house pet missing last week. It was a black tabby cat with a white spot on its chest. Mrs. Fosby never overfed the animal ("so the poor thing would not be fat and unhappy in her old age") and reported it altogether contented. She could not explain the disappearance.

Mr. Brody, a retired bachelor transit worker, began three years ago to feed and care for "Timothy," a tan neighborhood stray. Timothy developed home-loving traits, and would curl up comfortably at Mr. Brody's feet on cold autumn night, purring happily. Mr. Brody could not imagine why Timothy vanished two weeks ago.

Last week, residents of Lowell House and Dunster House were surprised to notice cats stalking about the dining halls at dinner time. One was a black tabby cat with a white spot on its chest, which seemed lean at the beginning of the week, grew sleek and plump towards the weekend, and was seen no more thereafter.

Why do these animals turn up in the dining halls, grow fat, and disappear suddenly? One can't be sure.