Debaters Will Defend'49-'50 League Crown

Orators Boast Top Record

The Debate Council will open the defense of its 1949-50 Ivy League Conference title against Princeton at 8 p.m. tonight in the Loeverett Junior Common Roots, President William C. Bocer '51 and Richard W. Hulbert '51 will take the affirmative on "Resolved. That the noncommunist nations of the world should form a new international organization."

Besides winning the Ivy crown, the Debate Council had the most successful record in its history last winter, with 55 wins out of 98 matches.

For the first time, debaters last season went to the Regional Tournament at Wesleyan and won against 16 other teams. Vermont came in second, although it beat the Crimson in the National Intercollegiates at West Point. The Debate Council also won the District Eight Tournament.

ANOTHER SUCCESS

Another success occurred last winter. Six insurrectionist debaters accused the Council's executive committee of extralegal " and "improper" administration.

Many of the old executives were purged in the annual January elections, and Bocker, one of the reformers, became President.

Becker admits that the Council's record performance last winter is probably coincidence. But he has still tried to improve the parceling out of assignments and the management of try-outs. These were among the counts of inefficiency against the old regime, along with "failure to obtain competent coaching and unconstitutional nomination of successors."

Under the present executive administration, there are 45 standing members of the Council, and 17 provisional members.

The highlight of the season's events comes during the Triangular Debate tryouts. At that time, the two best speeches are awarded the Coolidge Prize. The Council's faculty advisor, Frederick C. Packard, Jr. '40, associate professor of Public Speaking, is always one of the three judges. Becker and ex-president Melvin L. Zurier '50, won the $100 award last season.

NEED FOR FUNDS

Since the Debate Council was re-established in 1945 after inactivity during the war, it has been in the process of rebuilding. As for most College organizations, finances have been chief problem.

The Council gets some money through dues, and some years receives $100 from the University out of the Class of '22 Discretionary Fund. But the debaters, because they need more, have solicited funds from the 450 ex-members, going back to 1893. This summer, $800 was donated, raising the endowment fund to $1,700. The goal is $5,000.

The Council's treasurer, Norman M. Hinerfeld '51, is now trying to have the University invest this money.

The four other members of the executive committee have also helped put the post-war Debate Council back on its feet. They are: Bruce S. Lano '52, home secretary, Loster L. Ward '52, corresponding secretary, Julian I. Edison '51, publicity director, and John G. Morey, H'52, competition director, and A. Werner Plaus, vice-president.