Buddha Knows Best

At the Hasty Pudding

By Paul W. Mandel

With enthusiastic dancing, handsome scenery, sprightly music, and some of the best acting talent in the College, "Buddha Knows Best" is both entertaining and attractive.

Unfortunately, the show is far from being consistently good. The book by William Wiggin causes all the trouble. It is a sterile story about an expedition to Cambodia which is looking for a jade eye. There are a couple of men in the expedition and they are being chased by various women, some of whom are native to the country and most of whom are masquerading as somebody else. The Pudding was forced to wring every possible gag from this story; it was not an easy job, and the result frequently is dialogue like:

"It's Black Mariah Meyerbeer!"

"Not Black Mariah Meyerbeer!"

"Yes!"

"Who's she!"

Except for its story, the show is very good. Sidney Stires' music is pleasant and sometimes more than that; there is one song, "Damsel in Distress," which is up to the standards of professional musical comedy. Bill Wheeling has written clever lyrics, even under the debilitating influence of the story.

Fred Gwynne as a member of the expedition is handy with his long lower jaw; Kerry Lyne, who is (or masquerading as) Gwynne's fiancee throws a hip in the Puddings best hairy-leg tradition. And both Gwynne and Lyne can sing. Nick Benton holds up the awful part of a Cambodian princess with a Brooklyn accent ("The Priestess with the Leastest on the Ball") and does remarkably well.

"Buddha's" directing and choreography were handled by professionals, and they show it. The dancing is especially fine, with Roger Butler outstanding; the show moves simply and easily. David Hays did the sets. He is non-professional, but you would never know it.

"Buddha Knows Best" combines some fine talent with what was obviously a great deal of work. It is too bad to see so much work go to waste on so poor a story.