Marshall Will Put U.M.S. Into New Plan for Draft

Defense Secretary Will Send New Program To Congress Within Next Two Weeks

Secretary of Defense General George C. Marshal will present a new Administration draft program to Congress within two weeks, Senator Eeverett Saltonstall '14 told the CRIMSON last night. This proposal will include "some features" of Universal Military Service, the Senator said. It will definitely affect all students.

Saltonstall (R-Mass.) confirmed rumors that the Administration has dropped the Universal Military Training Bill.

The measure had been presented to Congress earlier this year and was under discussion in the Senate Armed Services Committee at the time of adjournment in September. Talks on the bill had been expected to continue after elections.

At present, Marshall is preparing his proposal with the help of the heads of the Army, Navy, and Air Force. He also has before him the plan presented by General Hershey's educational advisory committees (Trytten Plan) and the Conant program for U.M.S.

Long Range Planning

The final plan that goes to Congress will represent the Administration's longrange solution to the manpower problem, barring an all-out emergency. In that case, of course, there would be general mobilization for all able-bodied men.

When it is presented, Saltonstall explained, Marshall's program will be considered as an amendment or extension of the present Selective Service Act. The act expires in 1951 unless Congress takes action.

In another development on the draft question, Colonel Chandler, director of Selective Service in New York, said Saturday that the manpower shortage is "more critical" than generally supposed. He warned that his draft boards were looking toward men classified as (2A is for men deferred to complete their education.)

Cobb pointed out that New York boards were already calling 20-year-olds for examination. And, Cobb reminded, decisions on the 2A classification are left to the discretion of the boards under the present law. "Students specializing in the sciences will not necessarily be exempted by New York boards," he said. "Future historians or lawyers" will get as much consideration as the scientist.