Varsity, Freshman Wrestlers Win Openers From Engineers

The wrestlers successfully opened their season under two new coaches Saturday afternoon in M.I.T.'s Rockwell Cage, as Bob Pickett's varsity triumphed, 21 to 11, and the freshmen, under Howie Houston, won by 23 to 11.

On the strength of its excellent light-weight crew, the Crimson acquired 18 points in the first four varsity bouts and added three more on Dick Heidtman's decision. Dave Smith pinned in the first period, Johnny Lee in the second, Bud Adams in the third, and Icko Iben scored a decision.

Lee, Smith, Adams, and Iben looked fast and they form a fine leadoff group. They are smart wrestlers, as is Heidtmann, and when Al Sawyer--now getting into shape after breaking his leg last year--returns to bolster the middle of the lineup, Pickett's squad will be even more formidable.

All Tech's points came in the middle and light-heavy classes; Captain Tom Callahan and Chuck Seymour were probably the best wrestlers for M.I.T.'s team.

The freshmen came from behind to win. With Harvard trailing, 11 to 5, Dick Mortimer gained a late fall to win the decision, and Chick Chandler, Phil Waring, and Gene Booker all pinned. Chandler, the 167-pound man, and Oakleigh Thorne, who started the match with a pin, were particularly impressive. They won their bouts in the second period, Chandler employing a neat cradle hold.

Varsity summary:

123-Lee (H) pinned Myers with a body press at 3:50; 130-Smith (H) pinned Spero with a double arm lock and body press at 2:50; 137-Adams (H) pinned Findlay with a half nolson and body press at 6:38; 147-Iben (H) decisioned Buckstaff, 9-2; 157-Callahan (MIT) decisioned Anderson, 7-2; 167--Conant (MIT) decisioned Hubbard, 10-3; 177--Seymour (MIT) pinned D.Waring with a half nolson and body press at 7:55; unlimited--Heidtmann (H) decisioned Robertson, 14-2.