'Cliffe Council Debates Draft

"Draft deferment for students with high grades would limit the calibre of the men Radcliffe girls go around with," a member of the Annex Student Council said during a Council discussion of draft policies yesterday. "Under this system, Harvard will lose the well-rounded men who add most to the College community," she explained.

Other 'Cliffedwellers disagreed, arguing that "the new regulations shouldn't make it much harder to meet the type of men we'd like to marry."

The debate was the result of a request from Washington asking all N.S.A. chapters for information on student views of military service.

Radcliffe's Council came out in favor of President Conant's program for Universal Military Service and against exempting on the basis of marks any men already in College, except seniors and talented physics, math, and pre-med majors.

Members agreed that studying in order to keep out of the army would make men feel insecure, and prevent them from going out for honors, and joining extracurricular activities. "It would," they said, "also induce a greater number of students to apply to colleges with low scholastic standards."