Varsity, '54 Track Teams Win Easily in Tufts Meet

Temporary injuries to top performers marred the jubilation of the varsity track team Saturday as Jaakko Mikkola's squad took nine out of 13 firsts against Tufts, winning 64 to 45.

The Yardlings swept to an easy 84 5/6 to 22 1/6 conquest of the Jumbo freshmen on the Tufts indoor oval.

Outstanding sophomore Bob Mello, almost certain of a first in the pole vault and places in the broad and high jumps, sprained his ankle broad jumping. Determined to try the vault, Mello aggravated the injury and would up on crutches. He will be X-rayed during the vacation.

A similar mishap hit Mikkola's top sprinter, Dick Weiskopf, who pulled a leg muscle in the first heat of the 50-yard dash. To complete the "misfortunes-come-in-threes" pattern, half-miler Bill Montague twisted his ankle working out and was unable to compete.

Outstanding performance of the afternoon was turned in by the Jumbos' 220-pound Co-captain Tom Bane, who hurled the 35-pound weight 60 feet, 4 7/8 inches, only 2 7/8 inches off the world's record. But the thrill-laden contest of the day was the mile relay, won by the Crimson team of Charlie Durakis, Tom McGrath, Ed Grutzner, and Ronnie Berman.

Tufts' fine quarter-miler John Buckley built up a 30-yard lead over McGrath, and Grutzner cut it to 20 yards. Anchor-man Berman had to run against Co-captain Armand Furey, who has turned in very fast performances in the past. Berman caught Furey in the tunnel that covers half the oval, and finished ahead by two or three strides.

Berman also won the 600 in an easy 1:15.5, with Buckley second and Grutzner third, and Durakis and Bob Twitchell took first and third in a six-second 45-yard high hurdles event.

In the longert distances it was no contest. Dave Cairns was never pushed in the mile and won by 30 yards in a slow 4:37.9. Paul Judy came up fast to take third in the event, behind Jumbo Angy Farina. John Pankey followed Dave Gregory's smooth pacing in the two-mile and kicked ahead in the last lap to win in 10:19.5.

With Mello out, the Jumbos' Charlie Chisholm took the pole vault with Harvard's Bob Lown second. Dick Barwise set a new Cousens Gym high jump record of 6 feet, 2 7/8 inches, and Jerry Kanter put the shot 46 feet, 1 7/8 inches, with Bob Ray third. John Packard, Judy, Cairns, and John Little romped in the two-mile relay and Bill Geick turned in a good 22-feet, 6 1/4 inch leap to win the broad jump. Jim Downey and Joe Rosen were second and third in the 1000.

Paced by Irv Murray (46 feet, 3 1/2 inches with the shot) and double wins by Pete Terry and Ty Smith, the freshmen were never pressed