City Council Kills Lynch's Bill for I.S.A. Red Inquiry

Cambridge city councillors yesterday defeated an order directing the Chief of Police to investigate the International Students' Association for possible Communist membership. The measure, presented by Councillor John D. Lynch, was voted down, eight to one.

The issue was opened several weeks ago when the ISA petitioned the City Council for a change of zoning at 33 Garden Street. The Committee on Ordinances had previously approved the measure. Last week, however, following the group's petition, Lynch presented an order asking for the investigation.

Unanimous Vote

At that time, the Council, by a unanimous vote, tabled the order and suggested to Lynch that he conduct a "personal investigation to see if there was any basis for the order."

Yesterday, Lynch said that he had completed his "personal investigation" and had found that the organization is composed of "fine men." But, he adds, "the very name international still makes me suspicious."

"Terrible and Tyrannical"

Councillor Chester B. Higley said "it is terrible and tyrannical to investigate people for headlines." W. Donnison Swan '17 added "this is the kind of irresponsible legislation that brings discredit to the Cambridge City Council."

"If Lynch had investigated properly," Swan continued, "he would have found out that the purpose of the organization is to combat communism."

On a roll call vote, every councillor except Lynch voted against the order.