Basketball Team Tops M.I.T., 60-41

Lionette Registers 25 As Both Teams Open Varsity Campaigns

Dick Lionette tossed in 55 percent of his shots, scored 25 points, picked off rebounds all around, and in general played a fine game in the basketball team's easy 60 to 41 win over M.I.T. at the Blockhouse last night. It was the first game for both teams.

The six foot five sophomore had things had own way underneath the boards in the second half. In the first, Crimson captain Ed Smith pulled down quite a few, but a twisted knee kept him out of the second part of the game. The injury is not serious, and Coach Norm Shepard expects his most experienced man to be all right in a day or two.

M.I.T., which trailed by anywhere from 15 to 20 points for most of the game, proved that determination is a fine thing, but height is needed to back it up. Tallest of the Techmen was center Hank Hohorst at six four--he made only two field goals and took only those rebounds that fell his way.

Height Hurts M.I.T.

Captain Leon Hong of M.I.T. was fairly good at set shots, but his five five beight made it almost impossible for him to got off a shot during the first half. The other men on his team were also hampered, and Tech was forced to do most of its shooting from the corners and beyond the foul circle.

Shepard's flock not only controlled the ball off the boards and on the floor, but also made an amazing 45 percent of its shots. While he was in, Smith dunked in two thirds of his shots, mostly by driving in underneath the basket.

Poor on Foul Shooting

Forwards Horb Glantz and Mike Nacey were the only Techmen to score in the double figures, getting 12 and 11 points respectively. Both teams were poor on foul shooting, Harvard making only four of its twenty-four free throws.

Although Tech averaged about two inches shorter per man, the Crimson ball-handling was superior. Bill Hickey, Forrest Hanson, and Bob Bramhall out-fought the Engineers, and were consistently able to pass the ball in to Lionette in the bucket or a free man underneath the basket.

The summary: HARVARD (60)  G  F  TP Bramhall, f  3  0  6 Murphy, f  0  1  1 Stevenson, f  0  0  0 Smith, f  6  0  12 Lionette, c  12  1  25 Hickey, g  0  0  0 Gabler, g  0  0  0 Urdan, g  3  1  7 Redmond, g  4  0  8 Hansen, g  0  1  1 TOTALS  28  4  60