Yard Five Beats Teach in Opener; Blodnick, Dennis Lead 73-42 Rout

By Hiller B. Zobel

A tall, fast freshman basketball team controlled the backboards and the scoring to crush the M.I.T. freshmen, 73 to 42, in its opening game, at the Blockhouse last night.

Though, big Ed Blodnick led the Yardlings with 23 points, this was in all ways a team effort. Bill Dennis played a fine floor game, set up plays well, and scored 18 points. Dan Steiner looked good on defense, and sank six baskets.

Get Early Lead

With Blodnick, Dennis, and Ed Condon sweeping the backboards, and the Yardlings' sliding man-to-man defense throttling the Tech attack, the freshmen were able to pile up an early lead, which they increased steadily until the last quarter. The halftime score was 37 to 17.

When the freshman second team went in, midway through the last half, the Engineers, were able to hold somewhat, and the Yardling score remained within reasonable limits.

Miss Set Shots

Surprisingly enough, shooting caused the Crimson more trouble than anything else. The freshmen missed most of the few set shots they tried, and often had difficulty scoring from close in. But they moved the ball fairly well, and operated with a degree of unity surprising in a first game.