Group Will Meet On McCarran Act

Seven professors and two teaching follows will meet in the Faculty Club this afternoon to discuss methods of revising the McCarran Bill. The group will also review the problem of protecting civil liberties in the present war crisis.

Robert L. Gold, secretary-treasurer of the 1950 Civil Liberties Appeal and teaching fellow in Government, has arranged the informal meeting partly at the suggestion of Arthur M. Schlosinger, Higginson Professor of History.

Among the objectives of the meeting, according to Gold, will be to explore ways on which meaningful research in individual freedom of expression could be undertaken. the group will consider ideas for forming a Presidential committee of prominent men to study the entire problem.

Two other faculty sponsors of the C.L.A., Zechariah Chafee, Jr., University Professor, and Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, will attend.

Others invited are: Jerome S. Bruner, associate professor of Social Psychology, Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, associate professor of History, Louis M. Lyons, Curator of Nieman Fellows, Robert G. McCloskey, assistant professor of Government, and Roy F. Gootenberg '49, teaching fellow in Government.