Law School Asks For $200,000 in Annual Donations

The Law School today opens a drive to raise $200,000 annually from its alumni. Letters going out to 19,000 graduates outline five uses for the funds.

Alumni gifts will enable the school to develop a "practical" research center, double its present scholarship program, and decrease slightly the size of the student body. Other goals of the fund drive are maintenance of the Teaching Fellow program and reduction of the $300,000 deficit remaining on the construction of new dormitories.

Under present plans, the new research center would investigate legal problems for legislatures, civic organizations, and private and public agencies. Officials estimate the yearly cost of the center at $50,000.

Doubling financial aid to students will require $60,000 annually. Present scholarship money pays for only seven percent of the tuition with the need for new study grants rising because of increasing cost of education and the ending of G.I. benefits. Officials estimate that over half of the student body is in need of aid.

The school does not indicate how much it wants to decrease its enrollment from its present 1,500.

The campaign has the same yearly goal as the program inaugurated in 1949 by the Business School. Both drives are part of the University's decentralization program under which graduates will be asked to give to their own school rather than to a general University fund.