Berle Supports Korean Action, Sees Struggle Means to Peace

Former Assistant Secretary of State Adolph A. Berle, Jr. '12, reiterated his faith in the United Nations last night and exhorted the U.N. "to stand by its ideals in this hour of crisis." His Langdell Hall talk was sponsored by the Law School Forum.

Supporting the U.N.'s Korean moves, Berle said, "The U.N. is acting entirely within its rights in the Korean situation to safeguard the 'Peace of the People."

Berle, now a Law professor at Columbia University, said that the United Nations has reached. "The Valley of Decision" where it must choose between its principles and compromise.

He said, "You may sacrifice the attempt to enforce right when you are unable to do so, but the principle itself must never be sacrificed."

"We are acting now in an area which is not so much the area of war but that of peace keeping," he commented. "I think we are going to build peace out of this struggle, piece by piece and bit by bit, as every other peace has been built."

He concluded, "We have the tools and the doctrine for peace if we have the wit to use them."