State's Commission Says 'Cliffe Violates Pay Rule

Students Report Wage For College Posts Is Below Minimum

By Herbert S. Meyers

Radcliffe College is guilty of violating the Massachusetts Fair Wage Standards on two counts, the State Minimum Wage Commission revealed yesterday. The violations were reported to the CRIMSON by three Annex students, and could result in penalties ranging from a demand to retroactive pay to court action.

A state order passed on June 16, 1950 states, "No person employed in clerical, technical, or similar occupational shall be paid less than the following rates: experienced employees 65 cents per hours, inexperienced employees 50 cents per hour?"

According to sworn statements by Radcliffe students who wish to remain anonymous, the Annex today pay only 55 cents for inexperienced clerical help.

Under the same order, "An employee who reports for work at any time of day set by the employer . . . shall be paid for at least three hours on such day at the rates applicable under this order."

By paying strictly on an hourly basic, Radcliffe is floating this order.

Thorpe in Consultation

Radcliffe's Business Manager, R. W. Thorpe, yesterday admitted that four or five students were at present working at rates below the minimum wage. He said the College would discuss the case immediately with the Minimum Wage Commission.

Section ten of the order in question would enable Radcliffe to apply for a special exception to deal with student employment. This ruling says, "The Minimum Wage Commission may grant to any school, college, or university . . . an educational employment licenses permitting payment of less than the established minimum wage rate in the case of students enrolled and employed in said school, college or university . . ."

Neither Radcliffe nor Harvard has applied for this license. Wellesley has asked for an received this special dispensation, and Harvard meets minimum wage requirements.