Track, Wrestling Teams Open Today

By Peter B. Taub

Without the services of Captain Charlie Keith, whose javelin speciality is reserved for spring meets, the varsity track team opens its indoor season this afternoon in Briggs Cago in a triangular meet with Boston University and Northeastern.

Fields events start at 1 p.m. and running gets under way at 2 p.m.

B.U. will be strong, but Jaskke Mikkola's runners may be sufficiently superior to make the difference in team scoring. In weight events the Crimson will be much weaker this year than last. Northeastern, with little depth, should not be a great threat to either squad.

Terrier Weightman

Outstanding Terrier weightman is Irv Black, who took the 35-pound weight event easily last year. In practice Black has made 50 feet easily, Northeastern's Bob Sellars 48, and Harvard's Al Wilson about 45.

Inexperienced Fred Ravreby and Bob Ray will have difficulty in the shot put trying to top either Husky Dan Monturat or Terrier Cliff Blair. Sal Massooca of Northeastern will have no competition in the broadjump, and B.U.'s Jose Barbones, Harvard's Bob Melle, and North- eastern's Bob McLean figure one, two, and three in the pole vault. The Crimsons Dick Barwise has a good chance to take the high jump.

Dick O'Leary of B.U. is fairly good in both the 60 and 600 in the running events. Harvard's Dick Weiskopf can take the former event, and Ronnie Berman, Ed Grutzner, and Tom McGrath are a strong team in the 600. Northeastern's 600 specialist is Hippe Psyras, who has done 1:15.5.

Husky John Crowley has turned in a time of 2:19.2 in the 100 on the fast University of Maine track, but John Packard and Jim Downey of Harvard could be close. Mikkola has a pretty safe bet in hurdlers Charlie Durakis and Bob Twitchell, with neither other team having any outstanding contenders.

In the longer distances Northeastern has nothing, but B.U. boasts a 4:23 miler in Dick Fitzgerald. The Crimson, weak in the mile and two-smile, should score well in both in this meet