Army Wins 16-12, Hands Wrestlers Their First Loss

Army handed the varsity wrestling team its first defeat of the season Saturday at West Point. The score was 16 to 12. Meaenwhile, the freshmen over-powered Exeter, 20 to 12.

Two varsity men--Joe Kozol and Bob Abboud--also lost their first bouts. Kozol just had a bad afternoon; Abboud came up against a very tough opponent.

The 165-pound event was the turning point. Charlie Keith was ahead on points when Lon Scalzo Army won on a quick rolling fall. It was an unusually fast call which might have made the difference between a Crimson Victory and defeat.

Dave Smith and Al Sawyer worked very well in gaining decisions. Tom Connors was decisioned by a strong opponent; Will Davis gave a fine exhibition in beating Bennie Davis. Davis (H) scored three near falls and had things under control all the way.

Johnny Lee, Bud Adams, Icko Iben, and Pete Hathaway registered falls for the freshmen. Hathaway's saved the match for the Yardlings. Lee went down to 121 and Adams to 128 in an effort to improve team strength.

Varsity summaries:

121-pound class--Nicholson (A) pinned Kozol with a half nelson at 7:42, 128--Cragin (A) decisioned Abboud, 10-4; 136-Smith (H) decisioned Fern, 6-3; 145-Sawyer (H) decisioned Myers, 5-4; 155-Lange (A) decisioned Connors, 7-4; 165-Scalzo (A) pinned Keith with a cradle at 2:14; 175--Clafin (H) decisioned Weyand, 6-5, unlimited--W. Davis (H) decisioned B. Davis, 17-8.