Dartmouth Six Whips Crimson, 8-5

By Donald Carswell

First line right wing Arnie Oss of the Dartmouth hockey team scored five goals and an assist against the varsity sextet last night at the Arena, his teammates added three more scores, and as a result of all this the Indians skated off with an 8 to 5 Pentagonal League win.

Three of Oss's goals came in the first period, a period in which the Crimson apparently could do nothing right. Dartmouth's superior speed left the linemen loitering around the Indian cage and permitted the Green forwards to circle the defensemen and get clear shots at the Harvard goal.

Passes Worked

During the first period, the Indian passing plays were working so well that when they got a shot it was even money they would score. Goalie John Chase made only four saves in the first 20 minutes and five goals were scored.

Things were going so poorly defensively that at the 15-minute mark, Jack Car- man who had been playing forward, was once again returned to the back line where he spent the rent of the game.

The Crimson showed to much better advantage in the final two periods. The lines checked back more efficiently and the defense, now aware of the speed and finesse of the Indian first line, drastically limited the number of clear shots. In addition, Johnny Chase played an excellent second period in the goal, giving up one goal and making 11 tough saves.

Uphill Struggle

But the team could never overcome its first period lapse. Even though it clearly outplayed the Indians in the second period and played them goal for goal in the last 40 minutes. Dartmouth always seemed to have enough extra speed to prevent the Crimson from getting breakaway scoring opportunities.

Joe Kittredge led the Crimson scoring with two goals and an assist, with Hal Marshall, Doug Anderson, and Myles Huntington getting the other scores.

Expensive Seats

A crowd of 125 paid the higher admission rate to see Dartmouth continue its victory streak over Harvard at the Arena for the twelfth year.

Refereeing the affair was one Cleary, who did his usual impartial and semi-conscious job.

The summary:

First period--Scoring: Harrison (D) (Warner, Oss) 3:16; Marshall (H) (Minot) 4:34; Oss (D) (Gray) 8:06; Oss (D) (Harrison) 12:03; Huntington (H) (Timpson, Preston) 12:49; Kerivan (D) (Gray) 13:05; Oss (Warner, Gray) 17:05.

Second Period--Scoring: Anderson (H) (Kittredge) 4:12; Kittredge (H) (DiBlasio), 12:05; Choukas (D) (Crowley), 12:33. Penalties: Crowley (elbow check), 3:06; Carman (holding), 9:15; Sedgwick (charging) and Kerivan (slashnig), 13:33.

Third period--Scoring: Kittredge (H) (DiBlasio), 2:12; Oss (D) (Harrison), 3:26; Oss (D) (Warner), 15:42. Penalties: Carman (tripping), 3:41; Preston (holding), 5:22; Harrison (extra man on ice captain's choice to serve penalty), 8:00; Stout (interference), 16:55; Kittredge (illegal check), 17:13.

Saves--Chase 20, McMahon 22.

Period  1  2  3--TDartmouth  5  1  2--8Harvard  2  2  1--