Deacons Hold 1st In Court League

Kirkland's five game basketball winning streak was stretched to six yesterday when the league-leaders crippled the hopes of third place Adams with a 43 to 13 defeat. A strong Deacon defense and the 11 points of Chan Cushman and the 10 of John Pankey carried the game out of reach of the Gold Coasters.

In other A League contests, Dunster beat Leverett, 28 to 20, and Lowell hurt the second-place hopes of Dudley with a 37 to 31 win.

Leverett led the Funsters at halftime, 18 to 13, through the efforts of high scorer Dick Reynolds, but was unable to hold the advantage against a Dunster rally. Lowell also trailed at the half, 17 to 14, but rallied with Jim Downey getting 12 points in the second period.

In the B League, Kirkland, behind the sharp-shooting of Joe Walsh, swamped Adams, 39 to 21, in a rough contest, and Dunster edged Leverett, 31 to 28. The second game was close all the way, with the Funsters stalling out a five point lead for the final two minutes.

Winthrop, in B League squash, pulled closer to the league-leading Eliot squad with a 3 to 2 triumph.

Tomorrow Eliot will try to take over undisputed possession of first place in A League squash when they meet Winthrop on the Puritan courts.

FRESHMAN BASKETBALL

Massachusetts 29, Weld North 16

Hollis 35, Lionel 21

Mower 23, Stoughton 21

Thayer South 25, Matthews North 19

Straus South 1, Grays 0 (forfeit)

Weld South 28, Thayer North 27

Holworthy 37, Straus North 17

Matthews South 17, Wigglesworth 16