Freshmen for Dinner

Some freshmen pick their House by the color of its tower. Others have more substantial criteria, but too many choose their Houses blindly, and regard them only as a collection of assorted bedrooms and baths. They know nothing of House activities, House atmosphere, or the people who live in the Houses. And, unless they have friends who are upperclassmen, their only chance to find out about these things is the one week in April when House dining halls are open to freshmen.

This transition from the Yard to the Houses is a rough one. A Student Council subcommittee trying to smooth it has suggested that freshmen should be allowed to sign into upperclass dining halls on certain nights. But some Housemasters frown upon this proposal; they see milling mobs of Union-stricken freshmen choking the already crowded dining halls.

At their next monthly meeting, the seven Housemasters will consider plans to acquaint freshmen with the Houses. Probably the best plan would be to allow each freshman a total of 25 House dinners throughout the year. This would not overcrowd House dining rooms, and it would give each freshman a chance to look over the advantages and activities of each House. He might even meet the tutors. And when House applications come out, the freshmen would have a little more on which to base their decisions.