Deacon Quintet Holds First

Kirkland's basketball team took a firmer grip on first place in the A League last night by trampling Eliot 49 to 31, for its seventh straight win, Eliot never was in the game as the Deacons teamwork defense and fast-breaking attack completely outclassed the last-place Elephants.

Lowell's Bellboys moved into second place by edging Leverett, 31 to 28, behind the sharp-shooting of Tom Harry who netted 12 points. In other A League contests, Adams stayed in a slump and lost to a strong Dudley quintet, 36 to 25, while Winthrop topped Dunster, 28 to 24.

It League games were featured by a Lowell win, 37 to 33, over Leverett in a second period on baskets by Brooks Wilder and Steve shotski Kirkland and Dunster held their first-place tie by trouncing Eliot and Winthrop, respectively, 37 to 16 and 22 to 16.

Fast-breaking attacks and tight defense work were responsible for both wins. In a final contest, Harry Burnett scored a last minute goal and foul shot to give Adams a 36 to 32 triumph over Dudley.

In A League squash matches, Lowell beat Adams, 4 to 1, and Leverett topped Dunster, 3 to 2. Adams defeated Lowell, 4 to 1, in the B League.