Dodds Ditches Princeton's Proposal For New University-Sponsored Club

Princeton University definitely will not sponsor an eighteenth eating club, President Harold W. Dodds announced last night to a full meeting of Princeton's sophomore class.

Dodds' official withdrawal of the university's earlier suggestion for another club was apparently caused by widespread campus disapproval of the idea. A recent Daily Princetonian poll revealed that 61 per cent of the student body were opposed to the plan.

Dodds disclosed that he had turned down an offer of $150,000 which was to go toward building the new club on the north side of Prospect Street--Princeton's "club row." Earlier the university president had referred to the additional club as a "positive new element" in the college's social setup.

Princeton's current "club crisis" has been heightened by a petition signed by 605 sophomores, stating that they will refuse to join any club unless all men admitted to Princeton are "accepted into the social system for upperclass years."