College Moves to Integrate Machinery for Financial Aid

Program will Provide Better Information For New Students

By Douglas M. Fouquet

A systematized program to co-ordinate the College's student financial aid machinery was announced yesterday by Provost Buck, and with it a plant to inform prospective undergraduates more effectively of possible solutions to financial worries.

Although the program will ba an over all one, to be applied to al kinds of students, the Provost admitted that athletes present special, not isolated, cases, especially in that the pressure of studies and practice time usually precludes their holding jobs full time during their athletic seasons.

To carry out the program Buck has first appointed John U. Monro '35, assistant to the Provost, to makes a survey of the entire College population and form a complete picture of student needs for financial aids. The ultimate program will result in more closely integrating aid machinery as well as setting up more direct financial advice for men seeking to enter Harvard.

Much of the program will be ready in time for the next entering class.

Information and Advice

"A student has a right to a clear picture of what a year at Harvard will cost him as well as access to informed advice as to what opportunities exist to meet those costs," the Provost said. And "the College Administration should make a point of knowing the financial needs of these who require aids," he said.

In order that the College "adjust its program according to these needs," the Provost outlined the following three steps:

(1)Monro will carry out his survey of student needs for financial aids in order to fill in those details not already known.

(2)The already informal integrating of the Scholarship Committee, the Employment Office, and student loan policy will be improved and formalized in order that resources may meet the total problem more effectively.

(3)More direct machinery, perhaps under Monro or under the Admissions Office, will be set up to inform prospective undergraduates what solutions (through scholarships, employment opportunities, and loan's) Harvard offers for meeting financial problems.

Means of informing and advising prospective students on financial problems already exist, but only in haphazard fashion, the Provost feels. Under the new program, better information will be available and it will be more systematically provided throughout the nation. Details will be studied and worked out.

Effect on Athletes

Improving integration of scholarships, employment opportunities, and loans will mean that athletes, as well as all students, can make better use of the variety of financial aids.

If a man cannot work full time during his athletic season, leans (applied on the same policy as loans to other students) can perhaps fill his needs.

And, under the system of informing prospective students of Harvard's financial aid picture, there will be someone to explain this picture to athletes both before and after they come to Harvard.

"Athletes will be treated like all students, but we realize they have this peculiar problem," Provost Buck said