Experts Discuss Staff Functions

Any experience is good experience for work in public relations, Earl Newsom, public relations counsel for the Ford Motor Company and Standard Oil of New Jersey, said last night at the second of the 1950 series of Career Conferences sponsored by the Office of Student Placement.

"Since anything you learn is beneficial," Newsom said, "your choice of a field of concentration in college might just as well be in an area of learning you enjoy if you intend to seek employment in the 'Staff Functions of Industry'."

A second speaker at the job conference, Victor Borella, vice-president in charge of operations of Rockefeller Center, Inc., urged students interested in personnel work to gain background for their careers by trying several jobs to get to know the problems of the personnel they will eventually be handling.

Prescott H. Voss, purchasing agent for the University, treated a third aspect of "Staff Functions of Industry," buying. The shrewd purchasing agent, Voss recommended to the audience that congregated in the Kirkland House Common Room, is a man who has served in the sales service of industry.