New Annex Dormitory To Serve Music Majors

Radcliffe's next dormitory will serve music majors and advance music facilities in the quadrangle, President W. K. Jordan announced yesterday. The new dormitory, How on the drafting; boards will be ready for occupancy by September, 1952, if building coats do not rise.

President Jordan said the building will have an many practice rooms as possible for music majors, and that the design of the living room will provide the best acoustics for small concerts.

Radcliffe's entire music collection will then be moved from the yard library to the new hall, he said. The music room will always be attended and will have extra study space. So it can also serve as a study.

Headquarters for Radio Radcliffe, now located in the Field House, will also be moved to the basement of the dormitory, where the Station will have room for more adequate broadcasting equipment.

Try to Make Profit

The College will try to make a profit from the new dormitory, but board and room rates will remain the same, President Jordan added. If this plan proves favorable, the profits will establish music scholarships and fellowships and help form a quadrangle concert fund.

President Jordan explained that the planning committee had advised shifting the music collection, since 85 percent of Radcliffe will be housed in the quadrangle after construction of the dormitory.

This committee will meet throughout the year to draw up a statement of needs for the new dormitory. The statement will be based on suggestions of students, the housekeeping department, the maintenance department, and the heating engineers, Jordan said.

Members of the committee are Jordan, chairman ex officio, Richard Thorpe, business manager of the College, Miss Mary Small, Dean of Residence, and Mrs. Henry A. Murray. Jr.

Construction of the hall will complete two sides of the proposed new quadrangle covering the Garden Linnaean Walker Street end of Radcliffe's dormitory area. Kitchen and heating plants of Moors Hall will serve the new dormitory, which will probably be built on the Walker Street side of the quadrangle.

Moors Hall, completed this fall, was the first building of the future second quadrangle. The new dormitory, constructed in a style similar to Moors Hall, will house an additional 100 to 120 students. All rooms in the next dormitory will be doubles.