Commuter 'A' Five Topples Undefeated Kirkland, 30-27

Kirkland lost its first "A" league basketball game of the season last night, dropping a 30 to 27 decision to Dudley. The Commuters won in the last two minutes of play, on a free throw and a field goal by Ryan and Maytum.

Dudley led by seven points at the half. The league-leading Kirkland team abandoned its zone defense for the first time this season, after a well-executed Dudley attack drew the Deacons out in the first half.

Adams was ahead all the way as it beat Leverett, 37 to 28, to climb into fourth place in the "A" league. Leverett dropped to sixth.

Barry scored 15 points for the winners as Lowell beat the last place Winthrop quintet.

In the "B" league, Kirkland made the same defensive switch as its "A" league counterparts, but with more success. The Deacons beat Dudley, 31 to 21. Also in the junior loop, Lowell downed Winthrop.

In Yard basketball, in the American League, Matthews North beat Massachusetts by one point in overtime; Weld North beat Mower; Hollis beat Stoughton; and Thayer South beat Lionel. In the National League, Matthews South beat Weld South; Holworthy beat Grays; Thayer North beat Straus North; and Wigglesworth beat Straus South. 'A' League Basketball Kirkland  6  1 Dudley  7  2 Lowell  6  3 Adams  4  5 Dunster  3  5 Leverett  3  6 Eliot  2  6 Winthrop  2  7