Mile Relayers Place Second at BAA

Crimson Team Beats MIT, Elis; Jim Fuchs Sets Shot Record

Individual stars from Yale, Cornell, and Dartmouth figured prominently in the Boston Athletic Association track meet Saturday night at the Garden, but the most notable accomplishment of a 14 man Harvard contingent was placing second to Princeton and well ahead of MIT and Yale in the varsit mile relay. The winning time was a good 3.22.4

The Crimson quartet of Edward Gruizner. Thomas McGrath, Ronald Berman, and Harvey Thayer held second through out the race. The same four teams had competed in the other major indoor meets this winter with the Crimson leading the Yale group each time out.

In another event, the varsity two mile relay team finished a poor fourth in a six team race, behind Tufts, MIT, and Providence. Dave Gregory, George Williams, Bill Baker, and David Cairns were the Crimson runners in this race.

Others in Meet

Other Crimson men who competed in the meet were Pat McCormick in the high hurdles, Murray Pearistin and Parry Sperber in the 50 yd, dash, and Robert Mello and Andy Lockett in the pole vault.

Greatest excitement of the evening was provided the 12,000 onlookers by Jim Fuchs, Yale football and track star, who threw the shot a record 57 ft., 6 and one-half inches. The previous world indoor record belonged to Al Blozis, Georgetown, with a 56 ft. 6 in. heave.

Vie Frank, a fellow Olympian from Yale, placed second in the shot with a toss f 50 ft., 6 and three quarter in., edging out the Crimson's Jeff Tootell who threw 48 ft., 8 and three-quarter in.

Toss May Not Count

Fuchs record may not be recognized, however, because of his failure to use the prescribed leather covered ball. For Saturday's throws, Fuchs usd his favorite iron covered brass pellet.

Another star of the evening was Charles Moore of cornell who put on a great final spurt to win the invitational Hollis 600 yard Run. His best time of 1:12.1 was just enough to edge out Frank Fox.

Yale, Corenll Men Do Well

Other Ivy Leaguers who performed well during the evening were George Wade of Yale, fourth in the mile; George Appel of Yale, third in the pole vault; peter McCreary of Dartmouth, in the finals of the high hurdles; and Robert Mealey of Cornell, third in the invitational Lapham 1000 Yard Run.

As far as most of the spectators were concerned, the highlight of the evening was the one-yard victory of John Joe Barry of Dublin, Ireland, in the Hunter mile. Barry, cavorting about in a pale green outfit won in the slow time of 4:13.4.