VA Sets July 25 as Deadline For New Education Benefits

As a first step toward shutting down the GI and education program, Veterans Administrator Carl R. Gray Jr. announced in Washington yesterday he has informed Congress no veterans with a few exceptions can enroll in college training programs after July 25, 1951.

Other restrictions to he applied to veterans after July 25 will allow changes in courses "only for the most cogent seasons" and will prevent enrollment in new courses, after current ones are completed, even when the veteran still has time coming under the G.I. bill.

The July date marks the fourth anniversary of the official end of the war. Example from the dead lings, however, are the approximately 1,000,000 veterans who enlisted or re-enlisted under the Armed Forces Recruitment Acts of 1945 and 1946 and those veterans discharged since July 25, 1947 or still in service.

The new rules have been designed to expedite the closing down of the GI Bill training program, a job that is expected to take six years. Under the Veterans Readjustment Act, ex-GI' s were required to take advantage of school time within four years after the war's end.