Valpey Reported Accepting Job at Connecticut

Hartford Calls Choice Sure; Valpey Says 'No Comment'

By Andrew E. Norman

Arthur Valpey will be the new head coach at the University of Connecticut at Storrs, this morning's Hartford Courant reports.

The Courant says Valpey's appointment to the vacant football post is definite. It declines to reveni the source of this statement.

Valpey last night said, "I'm awfully sorry. I can't say anything in my position."

Uconn officials would not comment, the Courant reports. Harvard Athletic Director William J. Bingham '16 and publicity director W. Henry Johnston were 'out" according to members of their honacholds.

Forrest "Batch" Jordan Valpey's assistant as line coach, said "It's news to me Sounds like it's official." Jordan said he had been told of no new plans for his fellow assistants.

Valpey visited the University of Connecting January 19 and was taken around the athletic plant by ex-coach and athletic great J. Orleans Christian. After saying he was passing through purely on a social call," Valpey refused to comment further on the trip.

Visited Storrs Last Week

Christian said at that time he "could make no statement" on whether Valpey was being considered for the job until he might apply officially.

The Courant reports today Valpey was seen again in Storrs in the middle of last week with Christian and that he had a conference with Uconn officials the same day.

Weight to rumors Valpey was looking for a new job was added by reports that he visited the University of New Mexico shortly after his first trip to Storrs.

Valpey's appointment comes as a surprise, the Courant says; three other men were known to be under consideration by Uconn and were thought to have had preference.

Two Harlow Men Considered

Two of the three men named are former Dick Harlow assistants at Harvard: Harold Kopp, who moved to Yale at line coach when Harlow retired in January, 1948; and John Wood, pre-war backfield coach at Harvard and now holding the same post at Wesleyan.

Third favorite for the Uconn job was John McLaughry, son of Dartmouth mentor Tuss McLaughry, who has not lost a game in his first two years as head coach at Union College, Schenectady.

All three are former Uconn assistants. Kopp and Wood were line and backfield coaches respectively in 1945; McLaughry succeeded Wood in 1946.