Flying Club Finds Quick Success In First Four Months Operations

The College Flying Club was organized in October and within three months quadrupled its membership on the wings of the air-consciousness generated by the war. It now has a membership of 22: seven beginners who have received their first solo training under the club's auspices, and 15 licensed pilots.

Main stock in trade of the club is a contract with the East Cost Aviation Company, which provides planes to members at half regular price and assumes all liability for damage. The company operates at Bedford Army Air Station, a state-owned field 30 minutes away from the Square by bus.

Advantages to the setup are the reduced rates allowed because of the comparatively large amount of flying time the club requires, and military servicing at the field, which is regularly open to private aviators.

Activities planned for this term include breakfast flights to Northhampton and other neighboring college towns, participation in air meets sponsored by the Association of New England Flying Clubs, and a jaunt by the whole group to an aviators' resort.

Several members intend to enter the National Intercollegiate Air Meet, and the club may even have a meet of its own.

The club got its start in October when two undergraduates looking for inexpensive ways to hire planes got together and announced an organizational meeting. Twenty men came, and six of them joined immediately to form the core of the group.