BU Whips Varsity Hockey Team, 6-4, as Losers' Defense Wilts in Fast Contest

Minol Scores Three; Chase Magnificent In Crimson Goal

By Donald Carswell

The varsity hockey team returned to action last night at the Arena, minus the services of its best defenseman, Algy Allen, and its top goal scorer, Bill Garrity. They lost to BU, 6 to 4. Nevertheless, they played sixty minutes of their best hockey of the season on the forward lines and John Chase was superb in the goal.

Where the team showed its weakness most was at defense, and particularly at clearing the puck away from the nets following a save. Much of the time there was no defenseman playing the point, just the BU wing waiting for a pass.

Three Boston goals came on triple rebounds, times when the Terrier forwards had three straight shots from close range without much opposition from the defense. And there were a lot of other chances which were either muffed by the attacking BU linesmen or were squelched by Chase's brilliant saves.

However, the line play of the Crimson was excellent. The first and second lines came up with a while horde of drop pass plays, and Shorty Minot of the third line scored three of the team's four goals, two in the first period and one in the second.

The Summary:

Goals--First period, Robinson (Downing, Barnhill), 8:18; Garrity (Kelley, R. Folino), 16:13; Minot (H) (Abbott), 18:46; Minot (H) (Abbott, Marshall), 19:17; Second period, Cahoon (Haynes), 0:38; Martin (unassisted), 3:31; Minot (H) (Abbot), 4:26; Garrity (unassisted), 5:44; Kittredge (H) (Anderson), 13:24; Third period, Garrity (Martin), 4:06.

Penalties--First period, Marshall (H) (interference), 19:30. Third period, Carman (roughing), 12:45; Bollino (roughing), 12:45; Marshall (H) (tripping), 16:30.