Cornell Cops 49-48 Win

Crimson Blows Eight Point Lead to Lose In Last Seconds

By Bayley F. Mason

After playing one of its best games of the season, the varsity basketball team blew an eight point lead let night and dropped a 49 to 48 decision to Cornell's Ivy League leader. Over 1500 fans jammed the Blockhouse to watch the Crimson return from a three week exam period layoff. The halftime score was 24 all.

In the lost minute of play, Harvard, clinging to a one-point lead, twice waived the free throw option, amid protests from Cornell coach Roy Greene, to bring the ball in from out of bounds. Both times the Big Red defense was too alert and with ten seconds left to play the Ithacans' lanky center, John Werner, flipped in a layup

Rockwell Murphy Star

High-scoring Crimson forward John Rockwell, who played the entire game tacked Cornell's Paul Gerwin all over the court in the first half, sinking six baskets in a series of behind-the-basket layups. Gerry Murphy also turned in a fine offensive game, dropping four set get shots ever the heads of several six-foot defenders.

Cornell grabbed a five-point lead early in the game but some aggressive defensive work by Bill Hickey and Cliff Crosby, coupled with the rebound play of Ed Smith and Captain Bill Prior, checked the Big Red spurt. Except for the lapse in the last few minutes, the varsity's defense was fairly tight, forcing Cornell to the outside, but at the expense of 22 fouls, on which the winners collected 17 points.

Larry Goldsborough led the Ithacans'' fast-break attack, scoring four first-half baskets with his one-hand jump shot. six-foot-four inch Fred Eydt also did some clever outside shooting, but the man who saved Cornell's victory was Gerwin, who sank eight out of ten foul shots.

Coach Norm Shepard, although naturally disappointed with the result, said the he was highly satisfied with his team's showing, and felt "we played perhaps our best all-around game to date, until the end of the game--when we forget how to handle Cornell's pressing defense."