Five Intramural Quintets Resume League Competition Monday Night

A reshuffled freshman dorm basketball league will inaugurate second-half championship play next Monday night with all 16 teams due to see action.

As a result of first-half and reading period play, the league has been realigned with the stronger quintets grouped into an eight-team American League. The remaining clubs will form the National League.

Picked to compete in the American League were the following teams: Matthews, North, Lionel, Thayer South, Hollis, Mower, Weld North, Massachusetts, and Stoughton.

The National League will be composed of Matthews South, Holworthy, Straus North, Weld South, Wigglesworth, Grays, Thayer North and Straus South.

Matthews North Won First Half

Plan of play for the second-half calls for each team to engage in seven contests. Champions of the respective leagues will then meet, for the right to play Matthews North, first half champions, for the Yard crown. The championship game is scheduled for the week of February 26.

With each team due to play three times next week, the top contest looms between Matthews North, unbeaten in 11 starts, and Thayer South, winner of its last six contests. That game is scheduled for 7:45 p.m. Thursday, February 16, at the Blockhouse.

In the race for individual scoring honors, which carries a trophy for the winner, Leonard Baum of Thayer South is currently leading with 79 points. Danny O'Connor of Matthews North is second with 63 while close behind him is Howard Shapire of Weld North 61 points.

All contests will be played at night at either the Indoor Athletic Building or Hemenway Gym, Members of the freshman basketball team who regularly dress for games have been ruled ineligible to participate in Yard Intramural competition.