Financial Center Opens; Correlates Student Aid

Bureau Handles Jobs, Loans, Scholarships

A full survey of the College's financial aid problem and the Administration's efforts to meet increased needs will appear in tomorrow's CRIMSON.

New financial counselling services in the form of a Financial Aid Center will start today at 54 Dunster Street, Provost Buck announced yesterday.

Established to correlate the now separate financial assistance activities of the College--scholarships, loans, employment, and assignment of low-cost rooms, the Financial Aid Center will be directed by John U. Monro '34, Assistant to the Provost and Counsellor for Veterans.

F. Skiddy von Stade '38, director of scholarships, John W. Holt, director of Student Employment, a representative from the Dean's Office, and Monro will be a nucleus for a new Committee on Financial Aid which will supervise the financial counselling program.

Andrew K. Lewis '49 will be assistant director at the Financial Aid Center.

The Center will make a special effort to provide more aid for students unable to take on part time jobs, such as athletes or these active in especially time-consuming extra-curricular activities.

One of the Center's first tasks will be compilation of lists of especially needy students so that they can get priorities on the most lucrative jobs available with the Bureau of Student Employment.

Another duty of the Center will be to send incoming students more exhaustive information about financial aid possibilities at the College.

Buck's statement on the Financial Center said "We are hoping to free our students from unnecessary financial worries" by providing a body which will have the power to meet promptly, and with little formality, the crisis needs of any individual student.