Basketball Team, Swimmers Test Strong New Haven Foes

Blue Favored to Take 59th Straight Meet; Freshmen Also Underdogs

Only one team in the East, if not the whole country, is capable of beating the Yale varsity swimming team the Yale freshman swimming team. While the Harvard varsity and freshman teams are in New Haven today they will swim against these two squads in the exhibition pool of the Payne Whitney Gymnasium.

The Eli varsity win its 50th straight, the freshmen their 51st.

As a matter of fact, the varsity has a better than even chance of getting more than 20 points. The relays, the dive, and the breaststroke are out of its reach, but Joe Fox may retain his undefeated standing in the 50-yard freestyle. Depending on who swims for Eli Coach Bob Kiphuth, Captain Fog may take second or even first in the 100.

Bob Berke will probably take second place in the 440-yard freestyle and perhaps in the 220. John Steinhart will take second in the 150-yard backstroke, unless Bulldog Captain Al Ratkiewich competes in this event as well as in the 300-yard medley relay.

The Blue freshman team boasts John Marshall, who has twice this month broken the world 440-yard freestyle record, his best time being 4:36:5, and Jimmy McLane, Olympic and national champion in various freestyle events. However, the prowess of the Crimson's Pete Dillingham and Dave Hedberg may combine with Yale's lack of depth to give the precocious freshmen some trouble.

Dillingham took first place in the New England low board diving championships this week, and Hedberg swam the 100-yard freestyle in 53.5 a week ago.

The probable varsity lineup:

300-yard medley relay: Woods, Ward, Stroud. 220-yard freestyle: Berke, Kiney, 50-yard freestyle: Fox, Brown, Dive: Briggs, Weir or Manhelm. 100-yard freestyle: Fox, Watkins, 150-yard backstroke: Steinhart, Woods. 200-yard breaststroke: Vielman, Wheeler or Graham. 440-yard freestyle: Berke, Tolf. 400-yard freestyle relay: Watkins, Sachnoff, Stroud or Brown, Fox.