'53 Star Quits Football

Pete Dillingham outstanding freshman wingback last fall, will quit football to concentrate on the diving. It was learned yesterday.

The five-foot seven-inch, 165-pound Dillingham was a superb pass catcher on Coach Henry Lamar's squad. As a running back he was used on line plunges as well as end skirts because of his tremendous drive. He also saw some action on defense.

Although he never dived competitively until last fall, Dillingham has the ability to become one of the best divers in the Ivy League. He was undefeated in nine meets this year and recently won the New England AAU championship. Later this month he will take part in the national championships at Yale.

Coach Makes a Find

Dillingham was "discovered" by diving coach Charlie Batterman whom he first reported to take the compulsory swimming test. He was "fooling around" on the board and Batterman asked him to come out for the team because he needed a third diver.

Dillingham has excellent body mechanies in the air and has complete control of himself in space. According to Hal Ulen, he is one of the College's best diving prospects in recent years.

Dillingham, who had neither a coach nor an adequate diving board before he came here, arrived at his decision to drop football earlier this week. He has been working out in the pool three hours a day since the football season ended.