'53 Five Defeats Newman, 56-46; Wins 4th in Row

Playing what Coach Floyd Wilson called its "best game by far," the freshman basketball team defeated Newman Prep, 56 to 46, at the Boston Latin School's gym yesterday.

The '53 five took an early lead on Forrest Hansen's basket and foul shot, and was never headed until midway in the second quarter when Newman gained a brief one point lead. But a hook shot by Captain Dick Liomctic put the Crimson in front to stay shortly thereafter.

Newman, though trailing, remained within striking distance until the last 35 seconds, when successive layups by Jim Urdan, Hansen, and Buddy Lemay broke the prep school's full court press and clinched the victory.

In winning their fourth game in a row, the freshmen used only six players. As in most of the games this season, the scoring was evenly spread among them. Lionette was high man with 14 points, but Hansen and Urdan, both of whom played fine defensive games, each scored 11.

Besides the satisfactory individual performances, Wilson was very pleased with the way the team worked as a unit.