Illness of Cherington, Emerson Causes Gov Dept. Staff Switch

Illness and forced leaves of Charles R. Cherington, associate professor of Government, and of Report Emerson, professor of Government, have this week resulted in a major personnel shakeup this week in the Government Department.

Cherington recently contracted a serious virus infection, and may be out for the remainder of the term. Since last week his Government Regulation of Industry (Gov. 155) has been taken over by Joseph C. Palamountain, teaching fellow in Government, with guest lectures to be delivered by William Yandell Elliott, Williams Professor of History and Political Science, and Arthur A. Mass.

Robert G. McCloskey, assistant professor of Government, will assume Cherington's duties as Secretary of the Littauer Center of Public Administration. Cherington had recently been especially busy for he was an advisor to the Massachusetts Commission on Constitutional Revision.

Emerson, Chairman of the Department, last week took an absence because of a stomach ailment. Since the date of his return is uncertain, Merie Fainsod, professor of Government, has assumed acting chairmanship. Emerson's International Organization course (Gov. 170) has been taken over by Inis L. Claude, Jr., to be assisted by Daniel S. Cheever, assistant professor of Government, and A. Burr Overstrout, visiting lecturer.