Claims of Social Relations Argued

Two Social Relations' lectures will reply to charges that "too many obvious frauds were committed in the name of ...social psychology and social anthropology," at the Adams' House Forum on "Social Relations and its Criticisms," at 7:45 p.m. tonight.

Jerome S. Bruner, associate professor of Social Psychology and Alex Inkeles, Lecturer on Social Relations and Regional Studies, will defend the field against the attacks of Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, and Oscar Handlin, both associate professors of History. Morton G. White, assistant professor of Philosophy, will moderate.

In the August, 1949, issue of "Partisan Review," Schlesinger referred to sociologists "bursting onto university campuses, overflowing with portentous...hints of mighty wartime achievements, fanatical in their zeal and shameless in their claims, they persuaded or panicked many university administrations into giving their studies top priorities."

Schlesinger is the author of the Pulitzer prize winner "The Age of Jackson" and the more recent "Vital Center."