Jordan Holds First Spring Practice

Coach, New Aides Ran 80 Through Primary Drills

By Peter B. Taub

The 1950 football season, started at 3:30 p.m. yesterday on the second floor of Carpenter Hall, where a now head coach who had said be would be "incidental' to the College gridiron picture spoke and approximately 80 men, most of them newcomers themselves, Hastened.

Lloyd Jordan, wearing a green slicker inched into his football panta, outlined the practice procedure he intends to follow for the next two weeks and after spring vacation for three more. He introduced his assistants, four of whom are also now to Harvard football, and them everybody moved over to Briggs Cage.

Then the 80 men get to work is earnest, as Ted Schmitt, one of the assistants, led them through 15 minutes of calisthenics. Group work followed, with Norm Shepard and Josh Williams handling the backs, Schmitt and Joe Maras, linemen, Henry Lamar, ends, and Jordan going from group to group.

Basic Formations

After that, several 11-man teams ran from the basic T formations, although none of these groups represented any sort of first string team. The workout ended with wind sprints.

There were some familiar faces--Captain Phil Isenberg, Dike Hyde, Paul O'Brien, Jerry Kanter, Carroll Lowenstein, Hill Rosenau, Duke Sedgwick, Henry Dunker, and Don Kaplan. Also present was a large number of freshman and junior varsity players. Some men who were expected, like Fred Ravreby, were unable to take part in the workout because of hour exams.

Others, like Charlie Walsh and Johnny white, are out for baseball, and Bob Di Blasio and Bob Ray were on hand out wearing track suits.

Jordan plans to have a daily two-hour workout, with the emphasis on proper stance, formations, signal systems, downfield blocking and tackling, and punt returning. He will go outdoors as soon as the ground is ready.

While three of Jordan's assistants are just getting oriented to Cambridge, his trainer, Jack Fadden, was glad to be back home. Fadden worked here from 1921 to 1935, when he went to Amherst, then to the Chicago White Sox and the New York Buildings. He looked out at the New head coach and the 80 men and said he would not have left the Bulldogs for any one but Lloyd Jordan.