3 Deacons Make Crime's All-House Basketball Team

By Edward J. Coughlin

Three members of Kirkland's championship A League basketball squad were named last night to the CRIMSON's all-House court team. Dunster and Leverett each placed one player on the five.

The trio of Deacons are center John Lombard, forward John Pankey, and guard Chan Cushman. Their agressiveness sparked Kirkland to a 13-1 season, plus a near-miss in a 37-35 post-season contest with Yale's Berkeley College.

Lombard, at 6 feet 6 inches, is one of the tallest men in the league. His height gives him a tremendous advantage under the baskets; he haunted the keyhole against Berkeley's Mitres and all but stole the game from the Elis.

Sparks the Deacons

Pankey is the Deacons' sparkplug. Small for a basketball player, he keeps constantly under the feet of opposing giants and is too fast to be brushed off. Offensively, Pankey is one of the League's sharpest shooters. He won the first Kirkland-Lowell game with a last second 20-foot basket.

Dunster's Dave Warden gets a close nod for the other forward slot. A hookshot specialist, Warden had moments of brilliance for the Funsters and was team high-scorer.

Julie Garelich of Leverett was probably the League's outstanding guard. His drive and speed on the boards and his fine defensive play made him extremely valuable to the low-scoring Bunnies.

Cushing wins the other guard position, not only on his size and ball-handling ability, but also because of a season of fine play-making for the fast-breaking Deacon five.

Honorable Mention: centers--Ryan, Dudley; Brynteson, Dunster; Belcher, Leverett; forwards--May, Lowell; Reynolds, Leverett; Gotshalk, Eliot; guards--Redman, Hoffman, Dudley; Walker, Raphael, Dunster; Barclay, Kirkland.