'53 Squash Team Gains State 'C' Title, Defeats Lincoln's Inn, 3-2

The freshman squash team came back from a first round defeat to take the Massachusetts "C" League Championship from the Law School's Lincoln's Inn Society yesterday at the Hemenway Gym.

Matching a 3 to 2 victory that the Lincoln's Inn team gained over them last Tuesday, the freshmen forced the playoffs into a match tie.

According to tournament rules, the championship was awarded to the Yardlings on the basis of individual games. Of 34 games played on the two days, the freshmen won 19.

Awarded Plaque

It was the first State "C" League championship that a Harvard freshman team has won in ten years. They were awarded an inscribed silver plaque as a token of victory.

The tournament had been running from the beginning of the current season, and the finalists played a total of ten team matches, including the playoffs.

It was close right down to the finish, with the number three match between Charlie Elliott of the freshmen and Miles Hall of Lincoln's Inn drawing an anxious crowd of teammates. Elliott beat his opponent in three games to tie things up and make individual games the deciding factor.

Charlie Ufford and Dave Watts, year-long standonts for the freshmen and playing in the number one and two slots, had the best individual records in the tournament.

The summary:

Ufford (II) defeated Weary, 15-9, 15-3, 15-8; Watts (II) defeated White, 15-11, 15-5, 15-11; Elliott (II) defeated Hall, 15-10, 15-11, 15-11; Kidder (LI) defeated Bartle, 15-11, 11-15, 16-17, 15-10, 15-2; Fischelis (LI) defeated Riesner, 18-14, 18-16, 15-12.