The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Thefts Cause Annex Library To Eliminate Honor System

Council Follows Cedar Hill Remedy Request

Thievery and inefficiency have forced the Radcliffe library to abandon its honor system and install arbitrary checking on every student who wishes to take out a book. The new program will go into effect April 24, Joan Braverman '50, president of the Student Government, revealed last night.

Action stemmed from a recent Cedar Hill recommendation which asked the Student Council to formulate a concrete remedy for the disappearance of 185 books during reading and examination periods.

Council, collaborating with the 'Cliffe librarian and Library Committee, voted in the checking system by an 18-1 margin, at a closed meeting Monday, subject to review by the Executive Board. The final announcement came yesterday.

Students Will Check

The new system will apply to both regular and Fiske Room books. All books taken from the library will be checked at a desk on the first floor. Students will act as book-checkers from 9:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. every day.

Use of the date due slip as proof that the book has legally been signed for was the method recommended for the present, subject to rennovations next fall. The system may be completely overhauled in line with proposed remodeling of the entire library.

Check-out time for open reserve books was switched from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., while closed reserve books will still go out at 5 p.m. All books must be used in the library until those hours.

All of next week and the two days folowing spring recess have been set aside as "days of grace" during which any books may be returned with no questions asked.