Leverett Quintet Trips Commuters In Close Contest

Kirkland's grip on first place in the House "A" League Basketball League tightened yesterday, though the Deacons remained idle. Leverett upset Second-place Dudley, 40 to 38, to widen the gap between Kirkland and the Commuters.

Lowell suffered a second-half collapse in losing to Eliot, 32-30. Though the Bell-boys led, 19-11 at the half, Eliot's fast break, combined with Lowell's inaccurate shooting in the second half gave Eliot the game.

Winthrop's scoring power was too much for Adams, as the Puritans, with Jerry Kanter neeting 18 points, posted an easy 45-34 victory. Winthrop's sharper passing was another key factor in the win. Fred Crafts of Adams scored 13 points for the losers.

Kirkland's "B" team regained first place, trouncing Dunster 27 to 19. Effective defensive work by both teams kept the score down. Joe Walsh and Dave German tallied 10 points each for Kirkland.

The Winthrop "B" squad duplicated the "A" team's playmaking ability, beating Adams, 28 to 20. A slow first half contributed to the low score, but Ted Albert of the Puritans broke loose to score eight points in the second half.