Grad Center Sets Rents; Rates Shift in Old Halls

Floor Location Ignored in Making Prices; Excess Receipts Go to Building Costs

Room rates in the new Graduate Center and revised rents in the old grad dorms were announced yesterday by Provost Buck and Dean Griswold.

The prices range from $250 a year per person in a two-man one-room suite to $260 a year for each student in a two-man, two-room suite. A one-room single will cost $280 a year.

Revision of rents in the old dormitories--Hastings, Conant, Perkins, and Divinity are based on the new rule that identical suites must cost the same, regardless of the floor on which they are located.

The four new prices in the old dorms are $200 and $280 a year for single rooms, $300 a year per man for the two-man two-room suites, and $360 a year per man in the two-man three-room suites.

The rates were established after a two-month study by a 12-man committee representing the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the Law School, and the University Business Office.

Revision of Rates

Their work may lead to a revision of undergraduate room rates along the same principle that the floor will not affect the cost of a room. At present, prices on the second and third floors are higher in the Houses and the Yard.

The Housing Office has already announced that undergraduate rents will remain the same for next year.

Rents in the new grad dorms will exceed the estimated cost of operation so that the receipts will help meet the cost of building the halls. Alumni contributions to pay for the grad center are far below the needed amount.

A current Law School drive has netted so far $1,254,000--two-thirds of which may go towards the $1,650,000 they need for their share of dormitory expenses.

The Foundation for Advanced Study and Research--representing the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, the Schools of Public Administration, Education, and Design--has raised only $193,000. Part of that sum is restricted and may not be used towards the Foundation's $1,000,000 share of the dorm costs.

Admission to graduate housing, for the first time separate from the College administration, will be handled by two new offices. Assistant Dean Wesley E. Bevens, Jr., will handle Law School men, and Assistant Dean William G. McLoughlin will supervise it for the other schools concerned.