Debate Team Takes 1st Ivy League Crown

The Debate Council clinched the 1950 Ivy League debate championship, Thursday, beating Cornell in the negative of the national topic: "Resolved, That the U.S. nationalize all basic non-agricultural industries." Richard W. Hulbert '51 and John H. Suiter debated for the Crimson.

This victory leaves the debaters with the league record of eight wins and two defeats, assuring them of the Ivy League Debate Conference Trophy, which will be officially presented at Columbia on May L. Penn now holds the trophy.

Beating every team in the league at least once, the debaters lost only to Penn and Princeton. The Crimson debated each of the colleges in the six-team league in a home-and-home series.

All debates except the two with Columbia were on the National topic. The debtors beat Columbia twice on the subject: "Resolved, That Communists be banned from teaching positions in American universities."

In the eight debates on the National topic, the debaters won the negative four times, and split the affirmative with two wins and two losses. Outstanding individual performers were William C. Packer '51 with four wins and no losses, and Melvin L. Zurier '51 with a perfect record in three debates.