Emmanuel to Speak Here, Expects No Visa Difficulty

Pierre Emmanuel--the French poet who failed to get a visa to America from U.S. officials in Paris last summer--is expected to participate in a three-day Summer School conference on "The Defense of Poetry" this August.

Alleged Communist affiliations reportedly were the reason why Emmanuel was not cleared for entry so that he might teach last fall at Wellesley and last summer of Ohio State.

William Y. Elliott, director of the Summer School, said last night Emmanuel expects to have no difficulty in getting into the U.S., although the poet has not yet applied for a visa.

"The matter has been discussed with the appropriate officials in Washington," Elliott added.

The U.S consul in Paris never directly denied the poet a visa. State Department officials contradicted themselves thin winter, however, in explaining why Emmanuel never received his visa. Secretary Dean Acheson said that the poet withdrew his application before it was acted on.

Stephen Spender, John Crowe Ransom of Indiana University, Peter R. Viereck '37 of Mt. Holyoke College, and Francis P. Magoun, Jr. '16, professor of Comparative Literature at Harvard will also participate in the Summer School conference which will be held on August 14, 15, and 16.