Freshmen Baseball, Tennis, and Lacrosse Teams Open Spring Seasons Here Today

Whitney's Ten Faces Lawrence Academy; Weak in Reserves

After less than two weeks of outdoor practice, the freshman lacrosse team will open its season at 3:45 p.m. today against Lawrence Academy on the Business School Field.

Dick Whitney, the graduate student who coaches the team, is non-committal about the game.

"This is probably Lawrence's first game, too," he said. "If they've had the same trubles with outdoor work that we've had, the game is liable to be very close."

Limited Outdoor Work

Although badly hampered by the lack of field play. Whitney's team has rounded into fairly good shape. The first ten is strong, but the reserves, particularly the midfields, are untried.

Whitney is pleased with his defense trio of Art Broder, Rog Martin, and Ted Sexton. Sexton, a beginner at lacrosse, has developed rapidly, according to Whitney. Behind these three, Whitney plans to start Walt Niemyski in goal, with Bob Rosenman also playing.

Norm Hatch's accurate shooting paces the attack, with Gus Palacios and Pete Franklin the other starters. Peppery Bitsy Grant has also played good lacrosse this week and will see early action.

The midfield posts are well covered by Hank Wood, Ron Huebsch, and Chuck Pyle. Whitney will play Dick Cushner, Jim Dwyer, and Win Sharples in the second midfield.