Leftist Groups Protest Proposed Activity Rule

Organizations' Hearings Begin

Two leftist political groups yesterday protested a clause in the proposed regulations for extra-curricular organizations which requires all College groups to list complete membership with the Dean's Office.

The objections were voiced by the John Reed Club and the Young Progressives at the first of a series of hearings with the Student Council at which undergraduate organizations can comment on the 33-page set of rules released by the Council and the Dean's Office shortly before vacation.

Two other undergraduate organizations appeared at yesterday's hearings, and four more announced their intention to comment on the rules, although they did not appear yesterday.

Hearings Continue

Hearings on the rules will continue between 2:30 and 5:30 p.m. today and tomorrow.

Donald M. Long '49, president of the JRC, said he feared membership lists in possession of the Dean's Office might be released to the government "in line with laws of doubtful constitutionality." The same objection applied to reports on fund sources, Long declared, since some contributors to the JRC are unwilling to reveal their identities.

William D. Mulholiand, Jr. '50, who conducted the hearings for the Council with D. Broward Craig '50, said he felt sure the Dean's Office would keep membership lists confidential short of a court order.

Procedure "Bothersome"

Lowell P. Beveridge, Jr. '52, who represented the Young Progressives, objected to submitting membership lists on the grounds that the procedure was "bothersome and detrimental to organizations."

Spokesmen from the Liberal Union and the World Federalists, who also testified at yesterday's hearing, joined with the JRC and HYP in objecting to the "bureaucratic" demands of the rules regarding the various forms and reports required of organizations.

Thomas Schneider '52, president of the World Federalists, protested a clause in the rules insisting that every undergraduate group must have at least two faculty advisers. One, Schneider said, would he ample.

Boveridge objected that the regulation demanding application for outdoor meetings ten days in advance made semispontaneous demonstrations impossible.

Most of the testimony submitted at the hearings took exception to the volume and detail of the 33-page set of rules on the one hand and to the elasticity of certain clauses on the other