Varsity Nine Opens '50 Slate Today

Ira Godin Will Oppose Veteran BU Lineup On Nickerson Field

The varsity baseball team may open its season at 4 p.m. today when it is scheduled to meet Boston University on Nickerson Field. The final decision as to whether the game will he played hinges on the afternoon weather, forecast as cold with possible showers.

BU opened its season on Wednesday by trouncing MIT, 11 to 1.

The starting BU lineup contains only three new men: Dick Sherman, who will lead off and play third base; Harry Agganis, who will bat fifth and play center field; and Gordon Grolms, a right-banded pitcher. Grolms, a senior, transferred to BU from New Haven Teachers last year and will be making his initial start for the Terriers. Agganis, a sophomore football sensation, played for the Augusta Millionaires last summer and hit 345 for the season.

Good Starting Pitcher

Stuffy McInnis plans to start his ace right-hander Ira Godin. Godin, who is rated one of the top pitchers in the East, holds the Ivy League record for strikeouts in a season.

Jim Kenary, who will play first, and Johnny White, at shortstop, are the only new men in the Crimson lineup. Myles Huntington, who played second last year, has been switched to third for the opener. Like Kenary, who saw very limited action in right field, he was hampered by an injury.

Harvard is opening its 83rd baseball season today.

The starting lineups: HARVARD  BU Foynes, rf  Sherman, 3b Caulfield, lf  Rickson, ss White, as  Edwards, lf Moffie, ef  Mills, 1b Crosby, c  Agganis, cf Kenary, 1b  Winkler, rf Huntington, 3b  Shean, 2b Cavanaugh,. 2b  Bevins, c Godin, p  Grolms, p