Jordan Hopes Annex Will Be Female Center of Research

Radcliffe hopes to become the woman's research center of the world, President Jordan told Radcliffe alumnae last night. He also discussed plans to open seminars to middle-aged married women.

Since women professors do not usually obtain positions with time and opportunity for research work, Jordan explained, Radcliffe would like to offer fellowships to outstanding men scholars from all over the world so they could use Harvard faciliites and profit from life in the Harvard community. At present, only one such fellowship exists, the Helen C. Putnam fellowship for work in the biological sciences.

Philosophy for Wives

A committee is considering seminars on philosophical and political subjects for middle aged, married graduates, Jordan reported.

Today, many more women graduates marry than forty years ago. They start amilies young and have finished raising their children by the time they reach middle age, Jordan reasoned. Then they suddenly find themselves with a lot of leisure time.

By these seminars, Jordan asserted, Radcliffe hopes to help them utilize this time. He explained that middle aged women are at their mental peak and able to fully profit from such courses.